Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

If I Hear Party Rock Anthem One More Time...

What is going on in the world of radio? The ghost of Guglielmo Marconi, I assure you, is crying in his grave. (God rest his soul) Every time I step into the "Swedish Meatball" (my Volvo) I take advantage of the heavenly sound system. Often times I call on the radio to please my ear canals with the sweet mellifluous honey of melody and harmony, yet every time I constantly find these frequencies unworthy.

Before I get into why, let me explain my music palate. I consider myself a Renaissance Man of modern music. Country music is where my heart is, however, don't get me started on contemporary country. If I had to explain my favorite type of music, it would be anything with a banjo. The banjo is the salt of the music world. It goes good on everything, adds flavor, and preserves and transcends generations.

Unfortunately for myself and any other banjo lovers, or fans of good music for that matter, it is a struggle to find good music on the radio. I try to stay optimistic. I hold on to any hope that maybe, just maybe, it's only Atlanta radio stations that have the capacity to ruin songs like they do. Every time I turn on the evil box that has attached itself, like a blood thirsty tick, to the bosom of my car, I hear one of two songs, "Party Rock Anthem" or "Moves Like Jagger". Two undeniably catchy songs which, after the first listen have planted a cancer in your brain.

It's not just these songs, unfortunately. Songs like these are seasonal. For example, early this summer, America "allegedly" could not get enough of "E.T." by Katy Perry. P.S. Kanyeezy made that song. Last spring the demand for "S&M" by Rihanna must have been through the roof, otherwise there is no possible way that these "players of music" would play this "music" as much as they did.

This brings me to my point. The radio has become a poor man's iPod (move over Zune). A place where people can tune to and surely hear the song they want. This is okay with me, on some level. Sure, good songs deserve to be played multiple times in a day, yet there is still some element missing. Why isn't there are radio station, and maybe there is one out there, that is devoted to music discovery. A place where new talent is discovered, and old talent is brought back to life. As I write, I think to myself, "that sounds crazy, that would never happen." This just shows that they have me brainwashed. This should not be such a radical concept, and honestly, I can't believe a station like such has not been created yet. I realize that I sound hipster, but I'm not necessarily even talking about Indie music. There could be a "discovery" station for rap, country, and alternative. Just imagine how much music is just floating around in the musosphere, (music's alternate universe).

To all the readers of this blog: If any of you own a radio frequency, I implore you, consider my request. As the great Borat would say, "Make my day gypsy".

-Garrett "The Matador" Busch

No comments: